6 Ways to bring more traffic to your websiteMaryan Kacharaba
You know that current traffic on your website is never enough, so you might always want more and more. There are many tactics, tips and tricks to attract more visitors to your website. Let’s take a look at the most effective of them.
Nowadays social media has evolved into one of the major sources of website traffic. That’s pretty cool, because it gives us more opportunities. But wait a minute, there’s a whole list of social networks. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter . And it’s not only about the repost of your article. You won’t find new customers only with a simple share. That’s why I would like to talk about simple tips, which can improve your social appearance and your content visibility. So…
Use high conversion keywords
There are certain keywords in various social networks, that may attract more clicks and improve post visibility. In Facebook these are such words as: Submit, Inspire, Tell Us, Where, Deals, Amuses, Warns, Discount. As for Twitter: Follow, New Blog Post, Top, ReTweet, Social Media, Check Out, Help. What about LinkedIn, these are: Researched, Increased, Improved, Created, Developed, Reduced. And in Google + – Discover, Increase, Promote, Share, Create.
Add hashtags to your post
Using few hashtags per social media post at least can help you reach new audiences and significantly increase traffic and conversions. Here’s a quick look at the optimal hashtag usage stats for the top social networks.
- 21% more engagement on Tweets with 1 to 2 hashtags.
- more than 2 hashtags provide fall of the engagement levels by an average of 17%.
- Almost 40% of tweets with hashtags get retweeted.
- 1-2 hashtags per post can cause 593 interactions per post.
- The same as for Twitter, 3-5 hashtags provide fall of the average interactions to 416 per post.
- Hashtags are automatically added to your posts based on the content. You also have an ability to edit them as well.
- Google+ also shows a list of related hashtags that can be used to attract more audience.
No way without visual content
There’s no secret that image based content gets more attention as compared to simple text based posts. Thus, it’s very important to add images, videos, GIFs e.t.c. to your posts. For example, Facebook image based posts get 39% more engagement. In Google+ this number is a little bit lower – 28%, anyway images receive 94% more +1s and animated GIFs – 39%. As for LinkedIn – posts with image attract 98% more comments and videos get 75% more shares. Incredible. So please, don’t forget to visualize your posts!
Post short updates
Зeople usually don’t like to read long stories. Social network users have very short attention spans, that’s why small updates will get more attention on all social platforms. Kevan Lee from Buffer Social counted optimal length for social updates. Here are some of his numbers:
- Facebook posts with less than 40 characters received 80% more engagement
- Tweets with less than 100 characters attract 17% more users
- Headline, which has more than 60 characters on Google+ gets 18% engagement fall
Make your website social media friendly
As most of the time users find you through social media either search engines, your website structure has to be friendly for sharing and following on social platforms. To make your customer’s life easier, you may add to your website Twitter cards to display additional information about your links, blog posts or products. Also, it is useful to add Facebook open graph meta-tags so that your featured image will be always displayed. Don’t forget about the social sharing widget. There are plenty of them and the choice is really good. To start, you may try AddThis or DiggDigg.
You may share more than once, but don’t be a spammer
Your message may be useful and it may be shared more than once. But you should do it smart, as people may eventually learn to ignore your posts. The worst part – you may be unfollowed. Thus, you need to be familiar with the next rules.
Develop a sharing schedule
The goal of the schedule is to create a “peppered” social media approach that will help you get more clicks. A well-executed schedule may look something like this:
- On publish – Social message sent when blog post goes live
- Same day – Initial social messages trickle out to your accounts over the next 2-3 hours
- Next day – Messages are shared again on the appropriate social channels
- Next week – Another series of messages are pre-scheduled and sent the following week
- Next month – Even more social messages are pre-scheduled for the following month
- Next _____ – Optionally, additional messages can be scheduled for the three-month mark or beyond
Never share identical posts
Usually we share blog posts, including title, link, few hashtags and maybe small description. But you should be very careful if you decided to share it more than once. The better strategy is to add some simple variety by asking questions or including pull-quotes from the post itself. Here are the best ways to make your social message look different:
- Straight and Easy: Post Title + Link
- The Question: Ask an engaging question to stir conversation
- Cite a Fact: Share a fact or figure that is included in your post
- Share a Quote: Grab a pull-quote from your article and turn it into a social message
- Add Intrigue: Write a teaser message that grabs the attention of your readers
This tactic provides an excellent way to try out new ideas on your followers. For example, does asking questions increase reader engagement?
Check for results
It is important to monitor your results to make sure the changes you make to your social publishing schedule actually work. You should watch for a decrease or an increase in post activity, negative feedback from your audience and slowly fading interest in your content. Monitor and adjust your social strategy and tactcs. There are many tools available to monitor your social media performance, such as SocialMention, TagBoard, Buffer, just to name a few.
No one needs to talk about what SEO is. It’s one of the most important parts in every marketing strategy and for sure you have already worked with it on your website. But I want you to pay attention to some researching that will help you to make your SEO more effective.
You know that you can’t promote your website if there’s no content. And when you will create it, first of all, think about your customers. Which kind of questions they will be asking when they will search for you? Your content must give the answers. To understand what kind of questions your customers or potential customers are asking, create buyer personas based on real data on your existing customers and market research.
When you start a blog, you need to make a priority for foundational research first. This process includes:
- Using Google search to understand what kind of content is showing up in the SERPs
- Find out what kind of frequently questions are being asked on forums like Quora
- Using Buzzsumo to understand what kind of content receives lots of social shares
- Monitoring relevant hashtags in Hootsuite to see what kind of materials are posted together with that hashtag.
- Brainstorming with your team to realize what kind of pain points your customers may experience
This will allow you to really understand who your audience is, and solidify the kind of content you need to create to resolve their needs.
I won’t tell you that your content must be interesting, original, useful and so on. This is your priority ‘must have’, because if the quality of your content is low, then most of your marketing strategies will be ineffective. To achieve more engagement with users, look through these small tips.
Identify top content
First of all, you should try to identify type of content, which leads to more user engagement. You can find it out through Google Analytics or try other apps. For example TrenDemon can be integrated with your Google Analytics account to get real time stats on your best converting social content and the channels that can be used to amplify it. Such information will help you to promote your blog content and attract increased social media followers.
Use smart headlines
The headline is like the face of your article. It’s goal to pay user’s attention, to get people interested in what’s there inside. Just check some of the headlines of Buzzfeed articles. They attract thousands of social shares every day because of their headlines and innovative content ideas.
Write guest posts
A guest post on a trusted website is a nice benefit to create a steady flow of free traffic to your site and rank high as well. Make a list of high traffic web sites in your niche. Try to find out who are the editors of these websites and follow them on social networks. Communicate with them in every valid way you can and when the time is right pitch them with your guest post idea.
Write a blog post featuring people with audiences and let them know about it
Writing a blog post including the top people from your audience and send them a link to like it or share it. These people should be the influencers in your industry. To grab their attention use such headlines for your article as ‘The 10 most important marketing bloggers you should be following’, ‘The 5 YouTube personalities that have the best tutorials on marketing’ and so on. You should list them in your post and come up with a short discussing what they’re about.
Here is how it might look like
Next, send a friendly message to them via Twitter or to their email address. For example:
@sam, Just wanted to let you know that I love your tweets, and featured you in a list of the top (type of list): yourblogpost.com
Don’t be too obvious that you’re just trying to get their attention. As long as your blurbs are thoughtful, they’ll be flattered. If they send it out to their network, all the better.
Update and re-promote your old content
If you’re stuck on what to write about, look back on your old content that performed well when it was initially published. Sometimes these older content pieces just need a simple headline, image, or content layout refresh. Use your old content to link back to new content, and, vice versa, use new content to link back to old content. Internal linking will help you disperse the flow of link juice.
Webinars are a great way to drive a deeper connection with existing and potential customers. They capture attention, stir discussion and also drive successful sales. You may transform your ideas into the event, increase traffic, become a kind of authority and even earn some money. Another huge bonus from webinars – driving traffic to your website doesn’t stop when the webinar is finished. Live webinars could be recorded and uploaded later on a third-party service like YouTube. After that you can promote the URL link on the website and social channels to drive even more traffic.
You can run your own webinar on Google Hangouts on Air as well. To do this you need to connect your Gmail account with Google Plus and YouTube. Then you need to go through the following setup steps :
- Open a Google+ account.
- Start a YouTube channel.
- Link Google+ with YouTube.
- Download and install the Hangouts plugin for your browser.
Don’t forget to verify your account on YouTube in order to run webinars that are longer than fifteen minutes.
Everyone likes to win something. It’s about feeling yourself faster, stronger and smarter than others. That’s why contests and giveaways bring quite a traffic boost and new faces on your website. If you decided to attract more users with a contest, you should be familiar with the following issues to make a successful plan:
- What is the main goal of your contest? It may appear in boosting website traffic, boosting social media engagement, rewarding referrals e.t.c.
- What is the best time to run the contest? Contest season (Christmas, Easter), off-season, important website celebrations?
- What type of contest are you going to run? What kind of actions your participants should do? Will it be more simple complicated tasks? Actually, it depends on what you want.
- Think of some cool and desirable prizes and start looking for sponsors – to either provide the prizes or pay for them
- How you would like to promote the contest? Social media channels, email, reaching out to fellow bloggers? How often to repeat the announcement and prompt participants?
- Get the contest announcement ready, along with social media texts – Tweets, Facebook status update or special contest page if needed.
- Be very clear on the rules – you cannot go back on them later on, so make sure that they are perfect
- Launch the contest – makes sure you do this at an optimum time – the highest traffic day of the week and highest traffic hour(s) of that chosen day. Keep promoting the contest until the very last moment, making sure you let participants know time is running out.
- If an only if the contest is very popular and more prizes are offered by new sponsors – prolong it for a few days; if no one wants to play and you keep extending the deadline, it will look desperate
- Announce the winners when you promised you will – try to be as transparent about the process as possible
- Keep in touch with both sponsors and winners to make sure they receive their prizes.
- Make a point of analyzing participation, traffic and opinions from contestants – it will help when running future contests and giveaways and will be a great way to convince sponsors taking part in your projects is worth it.
There are plenty of things you can do to pull off a successful contest or giveaway. From sharing travel photos or favorite music, to answering questions or being among the first to take a particular action, the possibilities are unlimited. Use your imagination and be sure you are not moving away from your niche.
Lead Generation Services
You can go further and drive more traffic within payed marketing services. For example, via 1000leads.co you can get targeted leads with all of necessary personal data. It’s quite comfortable and quick way. You just have to submit your application on the website. Then they will connect you in order to identify your buyer persona and provide an individual research. In the end you will get the list of leads with personal data, including name, verified e-mail and social accounts. All you need in that case is to connect with your potential customers and buyers.
As you may see, there are many ways to increase traffic on your website. Social media, giveaways, SEO, webinars, quality content, services – it’s all up to your choice. You may try one or more tactics, decide which one is better for your business; to increase chances- use all. Just keep working and the result won’t be long.